Friday, July 22, 2011

Three outfits in one day Tutorial

Yep, I did that. But really, I'm not bragging.
Within one hour, I made three new outfits.
It's easy. First, I started with this dress.




Then I cut it in half. Using a cutting board, straight edge and rotary cutter makes this task especially easy and smooth.









For the top half I simply put in a 1/2" hem using a cover stitch machine. If you don't have a cover stitch machine, you can substitute an double needle. If your fabric is stretch, use a ball-point double needle. To make a straight hem from the front side of the fabric, I start with a 1/2" basting stitch along the edge to be hemmed. Be sure you are set for wide stitches because you are using this stitching line as a fold line and will be pulling it out after the hem is in.




Now you are ready to hem. With the fabric heading into the feeders right-side-up, fold the fabric under on the basting line you previously sewed. Continue till you are done, carefully pull out the basting stitch and now you have a new top.






















For the bottom I used fold-over elastic. Awesome stuff. Here is a fold-over elastic tutorial for you reference. I probably should have taken the waist of the skirt in a little since it was originally down at the lower hips. I had to do a lot of stretching with the elastic to get it to fit. Just and FYI.

Here are my new outfits:













Thanks so much for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment