Friday, July 29, 2011

Sewing Mistakes

Even the most talented sewers make mistakes. After all, we are human. Me, I make mistakes all the time. My motto is, "If I haven't had to rip out a seam and resewn it, I haven't sewed at all."

Today I serged part of a sleeve in with the seam. If I had just stitched it into the seam it wouldn't have been a big deal. But alas, sergers also cut fabric so the sleeve was left with a 2" slit in it. I zig-zagged over it and was grateful I hadn't used good or expensive fabric. You can't see it here because it's on the back of the sleeve. At least I won't have to see it.

I've made lots of mistakes; sizing, put zippers in the wrong seams, sewn things inside out because the right-side of the fabric looks like the wrong-side. That's why you have to be forgiving to be a sewer. I remember complimenting a friend one time on the decorative painting she did on her daughter's room. She said, "Well, it's just paint. I figured if we didn't like it we could paint back over it." That can be very true in sewing too. This top was supposed to be a tunic but the bottom is too narrow. So, I skipped the elastic at the midriff and figured I could wear it tucked in. Now I have altered the pattern to flare more at the hip for next time.

Other times, the mistakes were so unattractive that I just tossed it into the trash. After all, it's only fabric. I'll get some new and start over. "Tomorrow is another day."

Thanks Scarlett!

No comments:

Post a Comment