Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sewing Patterns

Let's start with patterns. They are one of the most intimidating aspects of sewing. Some brands are clear and concise while others are too concise. My favorite is Amy Butler. Her patterns are written for new sewers. By that I mean she completely describes the task. It's hard to misinterpret her directions. Also, in my opinion, her methods are easier than traditional ones. Beware though. This comes at a small price. When you open that pattern you will find paragraph after paragraph of directions. Don't let this stop you. The lack of white space means you are getting thorough information. Even experienced sewers can learn something from an Amy Butler pattern. Simplicity patterns are nice and even offer a line of "Sewing for Dummies", "Learn to sew" and "It's So Easy".

I always pull out the instructions and review them before buying a pattern. The envelope will tell you what level of experience is required but I like to see what tasks are going to be required of me. What kinds of zippers, how many pattern pieces, are there a million steps? One thing to remember as you grow in experience is that pattern instructions are not infallible. You can always change the way you sew a pattern. In fact, that can be fun. I often use a hidden zipper instead of the regular kind called for in many patterns. Also, there are a few different ways to sew in a zipper fly or set in sleeves. One time I mixed the top of one dress with the bottom of another. Use your judgment and get creative.

Post your comments on experiences you have had with different sewing pattern brands. I've actually sewn from a pattern that was missing steps. What about you? What are your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment