Monday, August 3, 2015

Today I made some jammies!  Woohoo!

I was experimenting with a pattern and using some cheap fabric.  Dollar fabric to be exact,  from Walmart!  But if there is one thing I have learned (really I have learned more than one thing), it is that you can't always picture correctly what a garment will look like once it is made up especially if the pattern only features a drawing of the garment so you make up a cheap version first.  Sewing snobs refer to this as a "Toile".

So here's the pattern, Simplicity S0418 or 1112, also purchased for $1.  Rule #1, never, ever buy patterns full-price.
 

Below, you will see two versions I made of the top.  The top on the right is as the pattern suggests.  It is cut on the straight grain and to me looks and feels like a box.  The top on the left is on the bias.  You could probably do it either way and get the nice drapey effect you see in the picture with the right fabric.  But my fabric, while lightweight, was a bit stiff.  The bias gave it more stretch, a better fit, and more flow.














Check out these seams!  I've been practicing.  Its amazing once you start using these tailoring/couture techniques how cheap some clothes are made, like the ones we buy off the rack, also known as mass-produced.  A bound seam or armhole takes more time and working a garment on the bias...also more time but also more fabric.  So if you want that quality and fit, you either buy ready made and go see a tailor or you buy custom made.  Either way you pay more but I think its worth it.

I totally love this bias stuff.  It makes even my crappy stuff look good.


Well that's all for now.  If you are interested in learning the techniques I used (French seam and bound armhold), do a Google search.  I'd love to do tutorials but they've all already been done so what's the point.  I'm just here to prove that we normal people can do it!  Really, sewing is not sew intimidating!  hahahah, like how I did that?

No comments:

Post a Comment