Saturday, April 21, 2012

Summer Tops and Dresses Expo 2012 and Butterick 5485 Pattern Review

Well I had to give it some kind of fancy name.

I have a plan to sew up a lot of dresses and tops for this summer. This is like my final for Professional Custom Clothing. I'm getting all my practice in and then bring it on! Clothes that fit YOU, in styles YOU want, and the fabrics YOU pick. None of us want to be at the mercy of those evil ready-to-wear companies that think we all have one body shape.

First is my Linen Blend, Kiwi colored sundress. I used Butterick pattern 5485.









This is the result. I didn't like the overlay extending beyond the skirt hem as the patterns goes, so I went back and shortened the overlay hem above the skirt hem. Just one more nice thing about custom made.


It actually fits me better than the dress form. I used a full bust adjustment (FBA) and increased the waist some. Amazingly enough, the hem is exactly the length of the original pattern. Normally I hem shorter since at 5'4", I am just between Petite and Misses sizes. Loved sewing this dress but next time I'll know to be extra careful with the grainline, and pinning and cutting. This fabric likes to shift. It was worth it though because it is a soft, drapey fabric that feels good on and in the summer that will be a huge plus.

Next up: McCall's 6503 using a cotton, smocked shirting in brown and white plaid with subtle silver threads.


141111_Logo_200x90 Free Shipping on orders of $100 or more from AnnasLinens.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment